Friday, January 20, 2017

Taboo Tattoos



While attending the Julio Gallery the display that struck a chord with me was "Ink Bias: Seven Portraits" by Rob Moore. Moore explained how he saw tattoos as an art form, although people with tattoos often suffer from prejudice. Moore stated that he has personally received judgemental looks when he displays his body art.

Personally, I don't have any tattoos and haven't given much thought to getting one. But I can relate to the feeling of being judged because of appearance for whatever reason. It is ridiculous to think that a tattoo which may signify such a spectrum of different things would cause other people to judge or think poorly of you. Though I can understand why it may be intimidating, I do agree with Moore that tattoos truly are often a work of art. Moore mentioned towards the end of his explanation that each tattoo does not necessarily line up with the corresponding picture on the wall. It does come back to possibly the most cliché sayings, "You can't judge a book by its cover."

 The faces that each tattoo belongs to The left display of tattoos

1 comment:

  1. I also attended the Julio Art Gallery event. I saw this piece and found it to be very interesting. I agree with Moore that tattoos are a work of art, the tattoo artists are very talented and I've seen some tattoos that are very detailed.

    ReplyDelete